Does the use of SSRI affect the IQ
“We therefore checked the effects of taking antidepressants during this phase of pregnancy. We then looked at which children had been diagnosed with autism and discovered an enormous statistical relationship, namely an increase in the risk of autism by 87 percent. "
It is not really surprising that antidepressants can lead to autism in the unborn child. Serotonin reuptake inhibitors are known to be taken to affect serotonin levels. During pregnancy, of course, antidepressants not only change the serotonin level in women, but also in their child. Serotonin, however, is involved in numerous prenatal developmental processes in the brain, such as cell division, nerve cell migration, cell differentiation and the formation of synapses.
If antidepressants are taken exactly when the child's brain is in the middle of its development, then the unusual serotonin level leads to changes in the child's brain, which can later be expressed in the form of autism.
Up to 8 percent of pregnant women now take antidepressants
On July 19, 2017, the British Medical Journal another study on the subject. No wonder, since up to 8 percent of pregnant women now take antidepressants. Researcher of the University of Bristol wrote that children who were exposed to antidepressants during pregnancy had a higher risk of autism than children of women who suffered from mental disorders but did not take antidepressants.
However, they said that probably only 5 percent of pregnant women who take antidepressants should expect to have an autistic child.
Autism and Antidepressants - Both on the Rise
The number of autistic children continues to grow. In 1966, only 4 out of 10,000 children suffered from autism; today, the figure is 100 out of 10,000. If the widespread antidepressants are involved in this development, it is extremely important to take alternative routes in the case of depression - especially in mild to moderately severe cases.
These are definitely available, but unfortunately many doctors do not take them seriously, despite their sometimes very good effect. Read here how nutrition can help with depression: Nutrition against depression. And here we have described which medicinal plants can be useful for depression: Medicinal plants for depression
Your donation helps us
If you enjoyed this article, we would appreciate a small contribution to our work! Donate now with Paypal.
Distance training to become a holistic nutritionist
Are you interested in what's in our food and want to know how nutrients and vital substances affect the body? Do you want a healthy life for yourself, your family and fellow human beings? Nutritionists are popular - but the holistic aspect that is needed for sustainable health is often forgotten when giving advice. At the Academy of Naturopathy, you will get to know the connections between lifestyle and diet as well as physical and psychological well-being.
That educates interested people like you in around 16 months to become a holistic nutritionist out.
Is this article worth reading?
Share this article
- Takoua Boukhris, Odile Sheehy, Laurent Mottron, Anick Brard. Antidepressant Use During Pregnancy and the Risk of Autism Spectrum Disorder in Children. JAMA Pediatrics, 2015; 1 DOI: 10.1001 / jamapediatrics.2015.3356 (The use of antidepressants during pregnancy and the risk of autism in children)
- University of Montreal, Taking antidepressants during pregnancy increases risk of autism by 87 percent, Science Daily, Dec 14, 2015,
- Newschaffer CJ., In Utero Exposure to Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors and Risk for Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2014; DOI: 10.1007 / s10803-014-2128-4 (Exposure to SSRIs in the womb and risk of autism)
- McMaster University. "Antidepressant use during pregnancy may lead to childhood obesity, diabetes." ScienceDaily, June 21, 2014. (Use of antidepressants during pregnancy can lead to childhood obesity and diabetes)
- Clements CC, Perlis RH et al., Prenatal antidepressant exposure is associated with risk for attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder but not autism spectrum disorder in a large health system. Molecular Psychiatry, 2014; DOI: 10.1038 / mp.2014.90, (Antidepressant prenatal exposure is associated with ADHD, but not with autism)
- Dheeraj Rai, Brian K Lee, Christina Dalman, Craig Newschaffer, Glyn Lewis, Cecilia Magnusson.Antidepressants during pregnancy and autism in offspring: population based cohort study.BMJ, 2017, (Antidepressants during pregnancy and autism in children: Population-based cohort study)
- BMJ. "Antidepressant use in pregnancy linked to autism in children, but risk is low: But absolute risk small, so results should not be considered alarming, say researchers." ScienceDaily, July 19, 2017, (Use of antidepressants in pregnancy has been linked to autism in the child, but the risk is low: the absolute risk is small, so the results shouldn't be viewed as alarming, researchers say)
Notice on health issues
This information is passed to the best of my knowledge and belief. They are intended exclusively for those interested and for further training and are in no way to be understood as diagnostic or therapeutic instructions. We do not assume any liability for damages of any kind that arise directly or indirectly from the use of the information. If you suspect illness, please consult your doctor or alternative practitioner
Subscribe to Newsletter
Exciting information about health and nutrition
1x per month
Login Successful. You will shortly receive a confirmation at the specified email address.
With your registration you allow the regular sending of the newsletter and accept the data protection regulations.
HEALTH CENTER © 2021 Neosmart Consulting AG. All rights reserved.
- Nations prepare for World War 3
- What civilization invented criminal law
- Supports IPv4 OSPFv3
- Who are the most underrated film directors
- Where is the furthest way you've ever ridden
- Is quantum physics involved in cosmological studies
- Who was Radhagupta
- How do I improve corporate training skills
- How many calories are in Indian sweets
- Is exercise beneficial for house cats?
- Is ice dry
- What is the most stable fishing kayak
- What's your secret popcorn recipe
- What is a SAP instance
- What is the pKa of threonine
- Who gives home physiotherapy in Delhi
- Is a VOA visa for Indonesia difficult
- Who is the most successful trial lawyer
- What are some uses of sugar cane plants
- Are Maxwell's equations used in engineering?
- What is the source code version control system
- Are diseases made by humans
- What is cross docking
- Men wear woven or fake hair