Are South Ossetia and Abkhazia industrialized countries
Document part of: Georgia: difficult stabilization of a fragile nation
One year after its parliamentary approval, Shevardnadze founded his own political organization, the "Citizens' Union of Georgia"The party is not distinguished by a particular ideology, but is the" party of power ". It is largely based on the old national nomenclature and represents a pragmatic policy. Economically, it is pursuing a stabilization course in coordination with the international financial institutions. In terms of foreign policy, it seeks the inevitable compromise with Russia, but without completely sacrificing national sovereignty: the problem regions of Abkhazia, Ossetia and Ajaria are to remain Georgian, but minority rights are to be respected.
After the unsuccessful assassination attempt against him, Shevardnadze pursued his Presidential candidacy with a clever mix of carrot and stick. He took advantage of the wave of sympathy after the attack to eliminate or weaken some of the main adversaries, according to Jaba Issolani, the head of the "Mchedrioni", a private army that overthrew Gamsakhurdia and called Shevardnadze into the country. The heads of government of Russia and Turkey visited him during the election campaign. Shortly before the November elections, Shevardnadze reformed the currency by replacing the worthless coupon with the new lari, and increased a number of social benefits. He also made formal concessions to the minorities in the electoral process.
As a result, he scored 74.9% of the votes cast with a turnout of 68.3%. With only 23.7% of the vote, the "Citizens' Union" won 91 of the 150 list mandates and a total of 107 of the 235 seats in parliament, as all but three of the 54 candidate organizations failed to pass the 5% hurdle.
© Friedrich Ebert Foundation | technical support | net edition fes-library | March 1998
- When should the product roadmap be drawn up?
- Are there manned UFOs?
- Why was the Obama administration so corrupt
- When was the city of Lisbon founded?
- Trulicity is a good diabetes treatment
- What are the disadvantages of unit testing
- Make intermediate exams important
- What medical information does an EKG provide
- Why do satellites move around planets
- What are some good underground rock bands
- What is the space-time prism
- There is a difference between PCI registration and pharmacy license
- How do I audition
- What are Google's first principles
- What +2 is required for JEE Advanced Advanced
- How do I get 90 over marks
- Can your brain fool you
- Individual investors really consistently beat the market
- Why do investors advise against using Zillow
- What is an example of miscommunication
- What animal can kill a shark
- How to start the CherryPy server
- Is Castiel the real archangel
- What's your favorite British accent
- Are smartphones allowed in hostels in Kota
- Which tradition rounds off your favorite vacation
- Everyone is essentially agnostic
- Which artist sang the song Eiffel 65?
- Are the people in Tokyo friendly?
- Is the US an overcrowded place?
- Is education a metaphysical activity?
- How common is diabetes mellitus in children
- What is required for compliance management