What is it like to be depressed
Depression - more than just sad
Signs of depression
Certain signs suggest that you have depressive illness, rather than just temporary depression. The three main signs are:
depressed, depressed mood
Loss of interest and joylessness
Lack of drive and fatigue
If you have had two of these three signs for more than 2 weeks, it could be a sign of depression.
Other complaints can also occur:
decreased focus and attention
decreased self-esteem and self-confidence
Feelings of guilt and worthlessness
exaggerated fear of the future and "black eyesight"
Thoughts or attempts to kill yourself
Physical complaints can also be an expression of depression. These are, for example, gastrointestinal problems, pain, dizziness or shortness of breath. Depending on how many signs there are, experts differentiate between three degrees of severity of depression: mild, moderate and severe.
The two-question test
A simple test can provide the first signs of depression: the Two-question test.
In the past month, have you often felt down, sad, depressed, or hopeless?
In the last month, have you had significantly less desire and enjoyment in things that you normally enjoy doing?
If you answered "yes" to both questions, it is advisable to contact a doctor or psychotherapist.
A doctor or psychotherapist will ask you in detail about the symptoms. He may also ask you to fill out questionnaires. Talking openly is essential to find out if you have depression and how severe it is. Questions about further complaints and physical examinations can be added to rule out other illnesses.
Depression can usually be treated well with psychotherapy or antidepressants. Both can also be combined with each other. In addition, other methods can be considered, such as waking therapy or light therapy. Exercise and physical training complement the treatment.
Which treatment is right for you depends on the severity of the condition. Your needs and living conditions are also important:
Mild Depression: You can wait and see together with your doctor or therapist. If the symptoms do not improve, he should offer you psychotherapy. Antidepressants should not be used generally.
Moderate Depression: They should be offered either psychotherapy or treatment with antidepressants.
Major depression:Medicines and psychotherapy together are most effective here.
There are also easily accessible offers such as self-help manuals, DVDs or online programs with exercises and suggestions. These can help if you have not yet started personal therapy or if you have mild depression. Even without treatment, depression often subsides after a certain period of time. However, if the disease is left untreated, it may return and last longer.
More information on treatment can be found in the patient guidelines (see "Explained in detail" below).
What you can do yourself
The most important step is to see a doctor or psychotherapist. Don't be ashamed. Depression, like physical illness, is not a question of guilt: Nobody would hesitate to see a doctor about back pain.
It can help to take someone you trust with you to see a doctor or psychotherapist. She can support you and describe your mood “from the outside”.
By seeking treatment, you have already taken an important step. Be prepared for such a treatment to take time. For many of those affected, the first improvement occurs after 2 to 4 weeks.
Sport and exercise are important. You don't have to perform at a high level. Try to set yourself small achievable goals: a walk in the fresh air, a little tour on a bike. Choose what you enjoy doing.
Other small activities can also help: a phone call to a friend, an appointment, a trip to the hairdresser's or a home-cooked meal can all be small successes.
Crises can be overcome more easily with support. Accept the offers of conversation and help from your family and friends.
Perhaps it will help you to exchange ideas with other people affected. Then you can turn to a support group.
- Are seafood more sustainable than meat
- What are Rydberg polarons
- Can art be available to everyone
- How do social norms affect stuttering?
- Can you decipher tae
- Which KEF speakers would you recommend
- Find Zoey Deschnael attractive
- Why does the KKK support Hillary Clinton
- Why is physics the most important concept
- What causes abdominal pain in women
- What's the best way to hire
- What is the scope of the ecm industry
- So what kind of conjunction is
- What are the best low budget snacks
- Where is mankind in man
- What is Pinterest's software stack
- What is the formula for finding moles
- Architecture graduates can be an officer
- What are the roots of Indo Guyanese
- How can I edit photos on VSCO
- There are poisonous snakes in Alaska
- How do I check the specifications of my computer
- Which sugar reduces glucose or fructose
- What is the most famous car
- Who sings the song Stranglehold
- Why are American police officers so under-challenged?
- How can I save SCPD videos
- Can I download my provisional certificate?
- How should the performance improvement plan be used
- Is ICWAI a good career option
- Why was abstract painting invented
- Black magic affects hair
- Is it okay to burn creosote wood
- Who sells best biryani in Kanpur