Elastic is moving away from search
SoundCloud: Helps users find the music that moves them
Leverage Elasticsearch to intelligently search content and deliver it to millions of music lovers
Create an impressive user experience
- Use search as navigation
- Instantly update the search with user-generated content
- Introducing new functions - quickly and often automatically
Develop and scale easily
- Take advantage of the high speed of working on system-wide bugs and functions so that a full re-indexing only takes an hour
- Scale with increasing requirements and with minimal effort
- Trouble-free maintenance of access via APIs
"We needed a new infrastructure with which we could deliver more relevant results, easily scale them and quickly experiment with new functions and models."
Powerful and intelligent search is the key to a better user experience
The most important thing for SoundCloud is to give customers the best experience of viewing, finding, and discovering relevant content in a timely and meaningful way. As the world's leading social music platform, SoundCloud allows anyone to create, record, promote, and share music tracks in a simple, accessible, and full-featured way. SoundCloud enables music creators to immediately record or upload their own audio content, to embed music tracks in websites and blogs, to share them publicly and privately, to receive detailed analysis data and to receive feedback from the community - directly on the waveform.
Redesign of the search infrastructure to optimize the customer experience
The focus of the new, redesigned SoundCloud is intelligent search functions, which are particularly important for a first-class customer experience. SoundCloud has made the search box the central element that users see. It has also been populated with suggestions that users can use to jump directly to people, music tracks, groups, and areas of interest. The company has also added an exploration area that guides users through the vast music landscape on SoundCloud.
“The most important thing in our redesign was an overhaul of our search infrastructure,” explains Alexander Gross, VP of Engineering, SoundCloud. "We needed a new infrastructure with which we could deliver more relevant results, easily scale and quickly experiment with new functions and models."
SoundCloud is moving from Apache Solr to Elasticsearch
When SoundCloud was founded, the company relied on Apache Solr to find it. Over time, SoundCloud's data requirements grew immeasurably, their social music platform became more complex, and their business rules multiplied. Solr ran into problems with speed, scalability, flexibility, and overall search performance.
"In the world of music tracks, real time is critical," said Alexander. "It is essential that our users' tracks can be found immediately after they have been downloaded, and when we redesigned the website, it became clear that we needed a more powerful and reliable search engine to replace Solr."
After extensive research into the state of the art in search technologies, SoundCloud decided to discontinue Solr and give preference to Elasticsearch.
“The real-time aspect of Elasticsearch is very important. Before that, it took days with Solr before you could search for something, ”says Gross. “We wanted a universal search as a navigation option. With Elasticsearch we get a lot more valuable insights into our data and the system is much easier to configure and maintain. "
Benefits for SoundCloud through Elasticsearch
Shorter search times improve the user experience
The feedback on the time to searchability was very positive. Newly set sounds can be discovered within three seconds - not after days like with Solr.
Add new features more easily
Elasticsearch has greatly accelerated the implementation and configuration of new features.
Simplified cluster management
No tedious manual work is required for bootstrapping and managing the cluster - everything is set up with Elasticsearch's REST API and the index definitions are specified in flat JSON files.
Improved insights help with decision making
A single dashboard with all relevant metrics helps SoundCloud to monitor performance, both in terms of utilization and search quality.
- What's your favorite movie about American history?
- What do Wiresharks package colors mean
- How is an MBA in SRM Easwari
- What's your favorite car for 2019
- Is there any drug that can be used to learn effectively
- What is the smallest value
- Is Pro Dot Antivirus is good
- What is USCIS biometrics
- Which are the main characteristics of impressionism
- Is google good for improving your knowledge
- Who is the cutest actor in Bollywood
- Why am i so soft
- Who was the mother of Abraham
- Electric vehicles use oil for lubrication
- Bitcoin is the next Enron
- Why is water polar in nature
- Where is the first passenger drone manufactured
- Will Airbus A380 survive without Emirates orders
- Can we eat vitamin E.
- Why did Battlestar Galactica restart
- What is the dimension of a linear
- Are we a real democracy
- Subdued Karna to Lord Krishna
- What is unique about North India
- Which, according to women, flirts harmlessly
- How do you teach a creative agency
- Who called the Golden Temple
- Which came first rugby or soccer
- Glycerin is made from fatty acids
- Which language is more beneficial to learn
- How many people are Zoroastrians in Iran
- What is the best intelligent DNS service
- What influences engagement on LinkedIn