Which is wiser squid or elephant
Animal Social Intelligence: Your horse knows how you were this morning
In the past few years there has been much to read about astonishing intelligence in the animal kingdom. But mostly it was about the usual suspects, such as great apes, whales and dolphins, elephants. Horses, on the other hand, have not been suspected of being extremely clever for a long time. This could change now.
Researchers at the Universities of Sussex and Portsmouth have discovered that ungulates can tell a person's emotional state not only from images. You can still remember this impression hours later.
Horses are amazing people who understand people
The scientists showed the animals different photos of people, some with an angry, some with a happy expression. Several hours later, the researchers confronted their animal test subjects with the real person - in a neutral state.
In order not to falsify the results, the human test persons themselves were not informed which of the two variants had been shown to the horses beforehand.
The horses' reaction clearly showed that the social herd animals still remembered the facial expression six hours later - even if they had only seen the picture briefly.
The line of sight says a lot about the animal's expectations
The researchers mainly looked at which eye the horses used to look at the real people. The researchers knew from previous experiments with dogs that some mammals are more likely to look at people with angry facial expressions with their left eye. For one simple reason: the left eye is neuronally linked to the right hemisphere of the brain, which is responsible for processing impending dangers.
Over the millennia of human and horse coexistence, the study found, this ability may have evolved to identify people who may pose a threat.
Horses are even a little ahead of the more prominent "clever" animals. "We knew horses were socially intelligent animals. But this is the first time that this special ability has been demonstrated in a mammal," says co-author Leanne Proops of the University of Portsmouth.
More popular articles on GEO.de
- How does UPS determine the shipping costs
- Why do control systems fail because of strategic management
- Why was marijuana illegal in the US
- Geolocation data is protected by copyright
- How should a company deal with content creation
- What is the best PHP contact form
- There is a difference between PCI registration and pharmacy license
- If a movie trailer is considered in the public domain
- Where can I buy Jordan 3 shoes
- What are specific proteins
- Streaming apps use data
- How can I control myself
- Why am I drawn to sad songs
- How prestigious is the UW University of Washington
- Who invented the cell phone charger?
- When will my period come
- Can a lullaby work on any animal
- How can small businesses avoid failure
- Indian girls watch sports on TV
- What is Avaso Technology
- What is Rh Blood Personality Traits
- Customer service number for over 1
- Can 2 USB hosts be connected to each other
- How can cronyism be eliminated
- What's so good about Tik Tok
- Acronyms What is RTFM
- The stock markets will collapse next week
- Was Einstein an alien?
- How can you translate a birth certificate
- How much do you earn at Appen
- What ties go with gray pants
- Can the world survive without the Amazon