Is New Guinea a continent
Papua New Guinea
Papua New Guinea is a state north of Australia and part of Oceania. Most of it is on the island of New Guinea, the second largest island in the world. Papua New Guinea is the country on the eastern part of this island. The western half of the island belongs to Indonesia.
The island is a little bigger than Germany. But it only has a little more inhabitants than the federal state of Lower Saxony. They come from many different races. That's because it's very mountainous. In the valleys, the tribes often lived alone without having much to do with other tribes. Depending on how you count, there are over 800 languages on the island. That is up to a quarter of all languages in the world.
The Netherlands conquered the west of the island in the 19th century. In 1884 the Germans and British took the East. The north of the east became a German “protected area”. The highest mountain on the island, the Wilhelmsberg, is 4509 meters high. At that time it got its name from a German explorer. He named the four peaks of the mountain after the children of Chancellor Otto von Bismarck.
The east was also a colony, from Great Britain and later Australia. In 1914, Australia conquered the north. During the Second World War, the north was occupied by Japanese soldiers. Papua New Guinea has been an independent, separate country since 1975.
The locals are called Papua. In addition, people whose ancestors came from Europe or the islands in the area live on the island. Most of the residents are Christians. Some still believe in witchcraft, so from time to time women are killed as witches.
Many young people leave the villages to work in a big city. Children and old people are left behind.
A dancer from the Huli tribe
20 New Guinea Mark, a coin from the German era
There are also other search results for "Papua New Guinea" from Blind Cow and Ask Finn.
- Are these mathematical statements correct?
- Is ARCO gas good
- Is charisma more important than good looks
- What is underactuated robotics
- What are some unity games
- What makes the British SAS the best
- Had Hitler ever surrendered
- How does a heat pump work
- What is pelvic congestion syndrome
- Why are daddy's long legs so terrifying
- CVT transmissions have more problems
- What are the best tires for SUVs
- What is the bitterest substance on earth
- Will Nadal regain his top form
- Supports Shopify automatic topic updates
- Can Americans drive in Paris?
- Is rugby popular in Indonesia
- Why do I hate being sober
- What is the purpose of Baby PRAMS
- What was the first zombie film
- Everything can spin without a center
- Superbowl advertising pays off
- What are the best stock market games
- What are your best first aid tips