What exactly is oxidative stress
Antioxidants and oxidative stress
Antioxidants (Radical scavengers) are protective substances for body cells that can prevent potentially damaging oxidation of cell structures by neutralizing particularly aggressive chemical compounds. Such damaging compounds are primarily free radicals. Because of this protective effect, antioxidants may prevent cancer and inflammatory processes, such as those that occur in arteriosclerosis.
Free radicals arise in the body during natural metabolic processes or through external influences (cigarette smoke, UV radiation, strong physical stress, certain medications and some food components). Radicals are highly reactive oxygen compounds that try to split electrons from other substances ("oxidize" them). This can damage cell components or disrupt metabolic processes.
In principle, the body has its own defense mechanisms. If these are no longer sufficient, it arises oxidative stress (Imbalance of radicals and antioxidants). A well-balanced diet helps to reduce oxidative stress and the damaging effects it has on the body's cells.
The antioxidants include some vitamins, especially vitamins A, C, E and the provitamin beta-carotene. But many other food components can also have an antioxidant effect, e.g. B. trace elements such as selenium or the active ingredients lipoic acid, lycopene, lutein, flavonoids or the coenzyme Q10 (= ubiquinone), which plays an important role in the body for energy supply and cell protection. The red pigment resveratrol contained in red wine is also said to have antioxidant power, which may be responsible for the vascular protective effect of red wine, although this has not yet been scientifically clarified.
Because the antioxidants in the diet are only one As a factor in the oxidative balance of the body, it is difficult to define what exactly is meant by adequate intake. In addition, the antioxidant potential of food can neither be measured nor is there scientific evidence for the effectiveness of antioxidants supplied in isolation - unfortunately the concept of antioxidants, which is sensible in itself, is becoming a field of activity for health apostles and traders of all kinds who pretend that their products are aging and to be able to prevent diseases.
AuthorsDr. med. Herbert Renz-Polster in: Gesundheit heute, edited by Dr. med. Arne Schäffler. Trias, Stuttgart, 3rd edition (2014). | last changed on at 12:30
- What is 5 5 5 5 31
- What are MT and MO in SMS
- All IAS officers receive security
- Helps masturbation grow quickly
- What is 8-bit color
- Why did you get breast implants
- What does the Samsung Note 8
- Pakistan is a beggar state
- What is more important lifespan or health span
- Which laptop brand mention their specifications
- Why do people hate BlackBerry phones
- What does the pre-internet mean
- What is the most ridiculous religion
- Messages should be neutral
- What are the components of a zipper
- How do you gain your parents' trust
- SSB takes into account the written NDA score
- What is the average temperature of LPG
- Which is more difficult EEE or EC
- Who are Virushka
- Do you think patents are anti-competitive
- What was MC Escher trying to portray
- Radio waves are polarized waves
- What is an MS Hug