This species was discovered
Scientists discover new species of dinosaur
Sensational find: During excavations in Mexico, researchers discovered an almost completely preserved dinosaur skull - it belongs to a previously unknown species.
In Mexico, researchers say they have discovered a previously unknown genus and species of dinosaurs. The herbivore species Tlatolophus galorum could be identified because an almost 80 percent preserved skull was found during excavations in the northern Mexican state of Coahuila, the National Institute for Anthropology and History (INAH) announced on Thursday (local time). "The surprise was that we found bones such as the femur, the shoulder blade and other elements," said scientist Ramírez Velasco in the institute's press release.
The name of the genus Tlatolophus is composed of the word Tlahtolli (word) of the Aztec language Nahuatl and the Greek word Lophus (comb). The shape of the comb resembles a symbol that was used by Mesoamerican peoples to represent communication and knowledge, it was said. The comb also had a communication function: through internal passages that connect the nose and windpipe, it worked like an integrated trumpet.
"We know they had ears that could pick up low-frequency sounds, so they must have been peaceful but talkative dinosaurs. Some paleontologists believe they made loud noises to scare off carnivores or for breeding purposes, suggesting that the combs were brightly colored, "says scientist Ángel Ramírez.
The discovery was preceded by the discovery of the animal's tail in 2005, as the scientists from INAH and the UNAM University in Mexico City also explained in the specialist publication "Cretaceous Research". This was then excavated in 2013.
"Exceptional Case in Mexican Paleontology"
The dinosaur must have died 72 or 73 million years ago in a body of water that was rich in sediments, the INAH said. As a result, his body must have been quickly covered by earth, which preserved it.
"This fossil, which is still under investigation, is an exception in Mexican paleontology because extremely auspicious events had to take place millions of years ago when Coahuila was a tropical region - like a great coastal plain - for it to be preserved under the conditions below we found it, "said paleontologist Felisa Aguilar, according to the announcement.
- How NSAIDs cause anemia
- Can a PCB student do hotel management
- Why aren't there McDonalds in Namibia?
- Why are carbon fiber cars so expensive
- What are the ten commandments of Minecraft
- Why is there clamshell packaging
- Love and authenticity are out of style
- Is Gaara dead
- What are IDMT relays
- Is there a limit to a hole
- Why should we study communication
- What are some hidden Android phone hacks
- Have attended CA toppers coaching courses
- Can remove niacin THC from your piss
- What's good in Phu Quoc
- What is Barry Allen College Degree
- How do I write articles
- How are koozies made
- Is the TIME Institute good for GATE coaching
- Where can I buy the light
- Well worth the new Nokia 3310
- Which is better ISO 27001 or CMMI
- Sociopaths have short term goals
- Saaho is such a bad movie