What is the function of the MOSFET
MOS field effect transistor (MOS-FET)
The designation MOS means Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor, which means something like metal-oxide-semiconductor component. The MOS-FET is also known as an IG-FET. This name comes from Insulated Gate and means insulated gate. This has to do with the structure of the MOS-FET.
There are a total of 4 MOS-FET types, a distinction being made between n-channel and p-channel, as well as enhancement and depletion types.
Structure of a MOS-FET
Basic structure of a MOS-FET (n-channel enhancement type).
The n-channel enhancement type field effect transistor consists of a p-conducting crystal, the substrate. Two n-conductive islands are doped into the substrate. The crystal is covered with silicon dioxide (SiO2) covered (insulating layer). However, the n-conducting islands are still exposed and led to the outside via contacts (S and D). An aluminum layer (Al) is vapor-deposited on the silicon dioxide as a gate electrode.
How a MOS-FET works (enhancement type)
This description of the MOS-FET refers to the enhancement type. There is also the impoverishment type.
The MOS-FET is always in the blocking state (therefore self-blocking) if there is no positive voltage between the gate and source connection.
If a positive voltage UGS applied, an electric field is created in the substrate. The electrons are attracted to the gate connection from the p-conducting substrate (many holes, very few electrons). They migrate to under the silicon dioxide (insulating layer).
The holes migrate in the opposite direction. The zone between the n-conducting islands mainly contains electrons as free charge carriers. An n-conducting channel is now located between the source and drain connections.
The conductivity of this channel can be determined by the gate voltage UGS Taxes.
The increase in the positive gate voltage leads to an enrichment of the channel with electrons. The channel becomes more conductive. The reduction in the positive gate voltage leads to a depletion of the channel with electrons. The channel becomes less conductive.
Because the silicon dioxide layer has an insulating effect between aluminum and substrate, no gate current I flowsG. Only one gate voltage U is used for controlGS needed. The control of the current ID. through the MOS-FET takes place without power.
The MOS-FET described above is an enhancement type. It is self-locking. But there are also MOS-FETs as depletion types. They are self-conducting because they are already after voltage UDS are conductive. This is created by a weak n-doping between the n-conducting islands (source and drain). This MOS-FET only blocks completely when the gate voltage UGS is more negative than the voltage at the source connection.
The normally on MOS-FET is activated by a negative as well as a positive gate voltage UGS controlled.
Other related topics:
The electronics company's original equipment
What every electronics technician needs: An electronics range with over 1,300 electronic components so that you have everything you need for every application.
- 30 different resistance values (600 pieces in total)
- 30 different ceramic capacitors (300 pieces in total)
- 12 different electrolytic capacitors (120 pieces in total)
- 8 different diodes (100 pieces in total)
- 17 different transistors (170 pieces in total)
- 5 different LEDs in size 3 mm and 5 mm in the colors 5 colors red, green, blue, yellow and white (200 pieces in total)
Order electronics assortment now
Electronics simple and easy to understand
The electronics primer is a book about the basics of electronics, components, circuit technology and digital technology.
I want that!
- How to plant basil seeds
- Why don't cars go straight ahead
- How is Columbia University doing
- Are national secularism and prosperity positively correlated?
- Is Mamta Banerjee's demise near
- Hackers ever use Spokeo
- How long does wheat live
- Should human gene modification be allowed, why
- What is 1 16 in inches
- What advantages does the ionosphere offer people?
- What does a career as a Montessori teacher look like
- What is paging in an operating system
- Modern Jews recognize Spinoza
- What pressure is BTS under
- What is the space-time prism
- What are heavy techno music
- What are the phases of product design
- What is the time-lapse phenomenon
- What are some old myths surrounding pregnancy
- Makes OPPO the OnePlus 5 phone
- How does a super capacitor work
- Do you ever feel ordinary?
- What are some InboxDollars hacks
- When will Telegram offer its ICO