Which Java implementation does Google use
Java usage in Android: Google wins litigation against Oracle
The online giant Google has fended off a billion-dollar lawsuit by the software company Oracle for alleged copyright infringement in the Android smartphone system before the US Supreme Court. The Supreme Court ruled in Washington on Monday that Google had not committed any violations of the law and thus overruled a judgment from the lower court.
This is a big victory for Google and its parent company Alphabet. Oracle had demanded around nine billion dollars in compensation.
Controversial point of interfaces
Google had used approximately 11,000 lines of Java programming language software code for Android. Oracle, which bought Java in 2010 when it acquired Sun Microsystems, sued Google that same year. The judge responsible had initially decided that the Java interfaces could not be protected by copyright.
However, this ruling was overturned on appeal, whereupon Google appealed to the Supreme Court in January 2020. Lawyers and open source developers had eagerly awaited the vote of the Supreme Court, because a victory would have had far-reaching consequences for Oracle's copyright and API licensing. The judges of the Supreme Court now decided with six to two votes in favor of Google.
(mon)Read comments (340) Go to homepage
Don't miss any news! Every morning the fresh news overview from heise online
You can find detailed information on the dispatch procedure and your cancellation options in our data protection declaration.
- How is the reverse mortgage payment determined
- Which one is stronger glue or tape
- Can cause clindamycin fever
- Can I cash in Bitcoin in India?
- Does content spinning actually work?
- How are spies in real life
- Which companies visit IIT Mandi
- What is job demand for statistics
- How do we declare dynamic arrays
- Works BHIM with Bharat QR code
- What techniques are there for cello positions?
- What is the struggle for interior design
- What is party spirit in the bible
- How do social norms affect stuttering?
- What's your best options trade ever
- What study is lepidopterology
- What do Superman fans think of Batman?
- Has quantum logic found useful applications
- Are JBL speakers good
- What does pasteurization do to juice
- What are DQN data sets
- What do you love about weddings
- Can I buy a police dog
- Giuliani has dementia
- Why are you an Orthodox Christian
- Is a magnetic finger implant safe?
- When should you wash vegetables
- What are some artificial neural network algorithms
- What is a Concierge MVP
- Why do mosquitoes irritate
- How am I supposed to brush my tongue properly
- Works WordPress with MariaDB
- What is litmus paper
- What is asked in VMware internship interviews