Why do they make citadels
The citadel and its fortifications, considered impregnable, have seen many changes over the centuries.
Take a free walking tour of the citadel
Go over the cobblestones through the tunnel and over the drawbridge to the Cour d’Honneur (courtyard of honor). If you feel like it, you can take a gourmet break in the café-restaurant. Traditional Franche-Comté cuisine is served there for lunch, a real pleasure.
Continue your sightseeing on the terrace with a panoramic view: Experience an all-round view of Belfort! You can expect a breathtaking view of the entire fortress, the city, the landscapes and the fortresses of the surrounding area.Hike through the vaulted cellar “Grand Souterrain”, a medieval moat that was roofed over by Vauban in 1749. Travel through the centuries as you step into these underground passages that could house more than 1,000 men during major battles. This place was heated with 6 large ovens and is beautifully lit today which makes for a certain magic.
In the eastern part you will find the Martin tank, a replica of the Le Cornouailles tank in which Lieutenant Martin died on November 21, 1944 during the liberation of Belfort.
The rich historical heritage
The history museum
Where the old pink sandstone barracks used to be, the Belforts History Museum is now located on the hill of the citadel. A journey through different epochs awaits you here. You will discover historical, archaeological and ethnographic collections. You can also admire the room dedicated to Bartholdi's works and marvel at his work. This is an ideal destination to get to know the secrets of Belforts!
The Lion of Belfort
The lion is the symbol of the city of Belfort. All Belfort residents are proud of this colossus made of pink sandstone. The Citadel and the Lion of Belfort were voted the French's favorite monument in 2020. To fully appreciate the view of this majestic monument, visit the Terrace of the Lion, which is open all year round!
Discover the citadel with augmented reality
An unprecedented experience: a visit to augmented reality!
The citadel becomes modern! Visit them with your smartphone. Immerse yourself in the history of Belfort and watch replicas, films and interviews. Make your visit to the citadel a unique experience!
The citadel is accessible at all times, reveals its secrets to you all year round and is a place that even hosts various events. Every summer the citadel pops up with a historical festival Festival d’Histoire Vivante into the past. This is your chance to meet actors in period costume!
- Why does telomerase cause cancer
- What is a tube extension
- Will someone hire me?
- Why did Nietzche Turin like Italy
- Do you like Chef Boyardee Mini Ravioli
- What is creativity and imagination
- How can an ear canal be expanded
- What is the difference between bioinformatics and biotechnology
- How much does PewDiePie
- How do I remove a screen overlay
- Is it worth going to college these days
- What is innovation in business
- Supports Hillary Clinton Obamacare
- What makes someone know everything
- What causes pain in my colon
- What rhymes with Israel
- What is YouTube's secret of success
- What is an Antonov AN 32 airplane
- What are some examples of green technology
- Would you date someone who smokes cigarettes
- The symbiosis law entrance test is easy
- Can I edit my anonymous question?
- Can these black hackers be caught
- What do you think of stray cats