What is it like to be promoted
Experts reveal: you don't get promoted if you perform. Rather…?
What do you think: What are the most important success factors for a career? Many people would now respond with motivation, performance or training. Although these may also be decisive, the most important success factor, according to experts, is different. Which one? We'll tell you.
Performance only accounts for 10 percent of success
We came across an interesting number on Business Insider: Only ten percent should the performance contribute to professional success. Your numerous overtime hours, the duplication of work for your sick colleague or the constant training and further education ultimately don't even seem to be as important as you previously thought. Sounds like good news, doesn't it? So you can confidently go home on time or take a little more time with work - and still be successful. But the question is: if performance is only ten percent, what is the decisive success factor for your career?
The "vitamin B" makes the difference
The answer is hardly surprising: at 60 percent, relationships, ie the famous "vitamin B", are the fastest and most promising path to professional success. Friendships and contacts often tip the scaleswhen it comes to filling vacancies or promotions.
Reading tip:Simple but effective: this is how you make new contacts on the job
In this regard, it is also not surprising that people with strong soft skills are heading for great careers these days. Social skills have long outstripped hard skills. Maybe because those emotionally intelligent people automatically have more contacts and make new ones. We told you how this works in the article "Vitamin" B ": How to make friends at work". However, it is not just the quantity of contacts that is important for your professional success, but, as is so often the case in life, the quality above all. That means: Not only do you have to know a lot of people, you also have to be popular with them of course. The really important keyword in this context is "image". The more acquaintances you have and the better they perceive your image, the faster and steeper your career will be.
Image: Miracle cure for employees and employers
Image is actually a word that is primarily associated with public figures or institutions and companies. In surveys, the image of an employer is still the most important characteristic for employees, for example when looking for a job.
But not only the employer has to work on a good image, including "employer branding", but also employees must finally see themselves as a "brand".
An employee also has his own "brand"
Everyone has an image - whether they want it or not. It is nothing more than the image that his fellow men have of him. The good news is: You can influence the impression you convey to your counterpart. So you don't have to leave your image to chance (anymore), you can now consciously choose it. In your professional life, your “brand” is your figurehead. With an image of “qualified, hardworking and personable” you ultimately have better chances of being promoted than with the image of “lazy, choleric and often sick”. So start by actively shaping your personal brand and take a big step towards success. But how does it actually work: "Build an image"?
This is how you turn your image into a personal brand
- Get to know yourself as well as possible: What are your individual strengths, unique selling points and most important "sales arguments"?
- Now you set your individual goals: What should your “image” look like? What are your professional and personal goals?
- Now check how other people perceive you. Ask your family and friends openly about this. Colleagues with whom you have a good relationship can also give you important answers. But be careful: these conversations are only really helpful for you if negative aspects of your current image or your weaknesses are also discussed.
- Now try to reconcile this external perception with your own professional goals: Where are you already on the right path? At what point does your personal brand need to be revised?
- Maintain your personal brand from now on. It must be perceived by your counterpart as a common thread. This means that your personal brand should not only be reflected in your words, deeds, facial expressions and gestures, but also in your résumé, in your qualifications, further education and training, in the e-mail signature, the application picture, your social -Media presences, the clothes chosen, etc.
You can also find further practical tips on the subject of personal branding in the article "Personal branding: definition, possibilities and tips". So the answer to the question asked at the beginning is: The most important success factor for your career are contacts and how they perceive you as a personal brand.
Or what do you think? Which factors have led you to more professional success? Do you think performance is overrated? We look forward to your tips and experiences in the comments.
Photo credit: iStock.com/George Marks
For everyone who always wants to be UP-TO-DATE in a JOB. From career planning and salary negotiations to exciting studies and valuable expert tips. Once a week, free of charge and straight to your mailbox.
You have successfully registered!
Also interesting and worth reading
- Why can we breathe in different ways
- Why can't I find comfort in myself
- Is there a supernatural being, God
- What is the future of AngularJS developers
- What are the natural predators of jellyfish
- Are yellow rose leaves okay to eat?
- Who should Scrum team members report to?
- Constant sleepiness is a kind of defect
- Is a SAP certificate that is used for companies
- What started the BDS movement
- Where can Saudi Aramco shares be bought
- Do tonal languages influence the lyrics
- Why do I have heavy legs
- Is Virat Kohli an overrated cricketer
- How did ancient Japan deal with tsunamis
- What is the best smelling liquid detergent
- All serial abusers have narcissistic traits
- Is Maldives in Lakshadweep
- What are the top trends in mobile
- When should I prepare for CSE?
- Is a juice safe quickly
- Is the crazy king Tyrion's father
- How big is Europe without Russia
- How do I make money with Nadex
- What is your opinion on the punk ideology
- Is rude and selfish bad
- What is the diagnosis of pyropoikilocytosis
- What is the advantage of blockchain technology
- What are some interesting facts about Minnesota
- Why do industries use titration
- What song made you cry Hindi English
- Which god used their strength the most?