How much does weeds affect your success?
Fight weeds with a shuffle
The perfect garden tool for weed control on sunny and dry days is the Schuffel, also known as the Stieger. The device is already available in many households. It consists of a small metal plate, ground to the edges, provided with a sufficiently long handle. Far too often the Schuffel is in the tool shed - and it is a very useful garden tool.
Instead of weeding it is better to "climb"
The metal plate of the rose is moved back and forth close to the dry surface of the earth. In this way, the roots of the weeds are severed and parts of the plant above ground dry up in the sun. However, this method does not work for weeds that grow very close to sunflowers, shrubs, woody plants or vegetables; they have to be removed by hand. A little practice with the Stieger is necessary - but then the effort is not that great: In a 300 to 500 square meter garden, the weeds should be removed after 30 to 45 minutes.
Advantages of the rose:
- The weeds dry up in the bed.
- No soil is carried out of the bed.
- The compost heap is not "contaminated" with the seeds of the weeds.
- The long handle of the shuffle enables an upright and back-friendly posture.
- The small cavities in the garden soil that release water to the surface are destroyed by the staircase one to two centimeters below the soil surface. Advantage: The water no longer evaporates, but is available to the plant roots
Hard work in rainy summers
In summers with closely spaced rain showers, the topsoil does not dry out sufficiently and weeds grow back more easily. Then it helps to use the Stieger more often - for example every five days instead of weekly. Nevertheless, the overall success is less with moist soil than with optimal weather conditions.
No chance against root weeds
The Stieger is powerless against plants that sprout from the remaining roots in the ground - so-called root weeds. Regular use of the device makes more sense in woody plantings, as the weeds are weakened. But even then, what counts: it doesn't work without staying power.
Why remove weeds at all?
It is not only aesthetic reasons that speak in favor of removing weeds. Because plants that are unintentionally in the bed can put other plants in distress: They fight with them for space, light and nutrients. For wild herbs such as nettles, chickweed or French herbs, there are paradisiacal conditions for germination in a bed with an open bottom. And they like to take advantage of that.
Mulching also helps against weeds
Bark mulch or wood chips should also be used on the beds against weeds. This layer of mulch dries quickly on the surface. Weed seeds can therefore germinate more poorly. The rough structure does not allow the formation of cavities. For this reason, mulched beds do not have to be watered as often. Weeds such as dandelions, which still pave their way through the bark mulch, can easily be pricked out or separated from the roots with the Stieger. However, increasing a mulched area no longer works.
This topic in the program:
NDR 90.3 | The garden | 06/28/2017 | 8:00 p.m.
- What is the reason for Bhishma's birth
- Why did Naruto stop saying, believe it
- Which RBL Bank Credit Card is Best
- Why are fireworks illegal
- What is Chris Gayle's top ODI score
- What is biodiversity loss
- What does Growth Sense Hacker mean
- Do you think democracy no longer works
- Will i ever be rich
- Why are the stock markets difficult to understand
- How old are five-graders
- What interesting inventions has religion given us?
- What is Vlazy Loading in Vue js
- What are most kitchen sinks made of
- What was Tagore's idea of India
- Why did Notch create Minecraft
- What is the future of the PSU banks
- Can I edit my anonymous question?
- Should I stop playing the drums?
- Why is Jayalalithaa getting so much praise
- Why is yellow the most visible color
- How do I decrypt encrypted PHP code
- Are there amino acids in vegetables Why
- Who paid for the Scottish referendum