How is testosterone excreted
Testosterone is the most important male sex hormone (androgen). It occurs in both sexes, but in significantly lower concentrations in women.
- In the male embryo, testosterone contributes to the formation of the penis, scrotum and prostate.
- A high testosterone level leads to the development of secondary sexual characteristics such as increased hair and a deeper voice. In men, this usually occurs at puberty, in women only in certain cases when the testosterone level is high.
- In both sexes, testosterone leads to muscle growth, higher bone density and affects the metabolism of fat and sugar.
- Testosterone is measured in the blood, ideally in the morning, since this is where the level is highest.
- Testosterone levels that are too low or too high should be clarified and are often the result of hormonal changes or illnesses.
Testosterone is the most important male sex hormone. It occurs in both sexes, but in significantly lower concentrations in women. In the male body, testosterone is mainly produced in the testes, and in small amounts in the adrenal cortex as well. In women, the hormone comes from the ovaries and adrenal cortex. In the blood, testosterone is largely bound to proteins and in this way transported to the various organs, where it unfolds its effect.
The testosterone level in males fluctuates over the course of the day, and is usually highest in the morning. Therefore, measurements should also be made between 08:00 and 10:00 a.m.
+++ More on the topic: sex hormones +++
What is the function of testosterone?
In the male embryo, the penis, scrotum and prostate are formed under the influence of testosterone. During puberty, testosterone leads to the growth of the sexual organs, the maturation of the sperm and the development of a male appearance:
- The shoulders and chest become wider
- the larynx grows (Adam's apple)
- the voice gets deeper (broken voice)
- hair increases (beard, armpit and pubic hair)
- the facial features change (protruding chin, wide jaw).
In addition, testosterone increases sexual desire (libido), drive, but also aggressive behavior.
+++ More on the topic: Male puberty +++
In men and women
In both sexes, the hormone increases muscle mass and strength as well as bone density and bone maturity and influences the metabolism of fat and sugar.
- Increase in body and facial hair (hirsutism)
- Deepening of the voice
- Clitoral growth
When can the testosterone level be changed?
When are testosterone levels too low in men?
The production of androgens in men steadily decreases with age. While there is a massive drop in female sex hormones in women over a short period of time, testosterone in men only gradually decreases. The testosterone level begins to decrease slowly in the fourth decade of life, annually by about one to two percent.
Age-dependent testosterone levels
|Age-corrected testosterone levels|
|Age (years)||Testosterone (ng / ml)|
|20 - 29||3,1 - 8,3|
|30 - 39||3,0 - 8,3|
|40 - 49||2,8 - 7,0|
|50 - 59||2,4 - 6,3|
|60 - 69||2,1 - 5,4|
|70 - 89||1,7 - 4,9|
How is a testosterone deficiency noticeable?
A testosterone deficiency is only treated if it also causes symptoms. The treatment can take place by injection, tablets or also with a hormone patch.
+++ More on the subject: testosterone deficiency +++
When should testosterone levels be measured?
- long-term use of certain medications (glucocorticoids, opioids)
- Pituitary gland disorders
- kidney disease requiring dialysis
- Type 2 diabetes
Stay informed with the newsletter from netdoktor.at
Dr. med. Matthias Thalhammer
Shalender Bhasin et al: Testosterone Therapy in Adult Men with Androgen Deficiency Syndromes: An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline. In: The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 91 (6) 2006, pp. 1995-2010.
Margaret E. Wierman et al: Androgen Therapy in Women: An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline. In: The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 91 (10) 2006, pp. 3697-3710.
Kratzik, Dollezal, Davoudi, Ponholzer, Lackner: Guideline for partial androgen deficit in aging men. In: Journal for Urology and Urogynaecology 2008; 15 (special issue 6), pp. 5-6.
More articles on the topic
Awakening time: When boys reach puberty, not only does their body change, but also their psyche.
Sex hormones in men in their mid-40s go to their knees. A few centuries ago this was not noticed because the falling hormone levels in ...
Alcohol & erection problems
Alcohol and sex and often meet. Sparkling wine, wine and beer cheer up, relax, let the inhibition threshold sink and the desire ...
- Who controls Orkney Islands
- How many gorillas are there in Rwanda
- What are OSI addresses
- Men wear woven or fake hair
- Is kinetic energy convertible into work
- Which company produces Emotorcycles
- Is physiotherapy mandatory after a shoulder fracture
- A robot apocalypse is inevitable
- What is the most complex game
- When how why were silencers invented
- Is Neda Jahanshad a pioneer
- How is the VIT campus
- How does learning IOT training help me
- Can water pollution affect agriculture?
- Is physics required to study mathematics
- Speak Turkish English
- Which is the capital of Guwahati
- Can I do CSE together with ECE?
- How do I make egg-free mayonnaise
- What are some vegan taco recipes
- What is 30 divided by 1 3
- How easy is it to learn to sing 1
- Electric vehicles produce emissions
- How fast do cancerous lymph nodes grow