What is horizontal gene transfer
Exchange of genetic material between different living beings.
In genetic engineering, the transfer of individual genes from a donor to a recipient organism is known as gene transfer.
A distinction is made between vertical and horizontal gene transfer.
Horizontal gene transfer
Horizontal gene transfer is the transfer or ingestion of genetic material outside the sexual reproductive pathways and independent of existing species boundaries. Depending on certain conditions, a horizontal gene transfer - for example from a plant to a soil bacterium - is basically possible, but a very unlikely event under natural conditions.
When assessing the safety of genetically modified plants, the possibility of a foreign gene being passed on via horizontal gene transfer should be taken into account - regardless of the likelihood of occurrence. For example, antibiotic resistance genes used as marker genes could be passed on from a transgenic plant to soil or intestinal bacteria.
Vertical gene transfer (crossing)
If two plants cross sexually and pass their genes on to the following generations, this process is a vertical gene transfer, usually referred to as crossing.
By crossing transgenic with non-transgenic crop plants, the latter also take up the introduced gene constructs. When assessing the safety of transgenic plants, the possibility of outcrossing the foreign gene into closely related wild plant species is therefore an important aspect.
- Last friend zones forever
- What are the characteristics of dynamic programming
- Education is only for education
- Electric vehicles use oil for lubrication
- How is synovitis treated
- How do laser cutters work
- Which is the best mid-range Samsung smartphone
- What's your favorite Outkast song
- What is the saddest truth about cancer
- What is more important lifespan or health span
- If 8x 1 33 what is x
- What is an injury surge in football
- How does the messenger bot work
- What do ducks do all day
- Is the NSA inoperable?
- Is sour cream mast
- The entry is mandatory for an SSC stenographer
- What is included in a car detailing
- How many types of definitions are there
- Are you autistic and left handed
- Is Ramayanam right or wrong
- How does it feel to freeze to death?
- Are there manned UFOs?
- How do I make shahari