What is skin for?
Our largest sense organ# 195 What do we need skin for?
You probably haven't given much thought to your skin yet, have you? It's just there. It's worth taking a closer look - and that's exactly what we're doing in this episode. In truth, the skin has tons of superpowers! Fancy a small selection?
1. The skin is our protective cover
It protects us from intruders, bacteria and germs. And if we could pull it off and spread it out, it was as big as a picnic blanket. The structure and color of the skin are a little different for everyone.
Better than any bubble wrap: our skin. (imago / Addictive Stock)
2. The skin is our air conditioner
It helps us not to overheat or cool down. If we are too hot, we sweat. The water evaporates and cools our organism. The skin can also absorb light and convert it into heat.
Without the sweat glands in our skin, fans would be half as fun. (imago / Addictive Stock)
3. The skin is the boundary layer and point of contact
We use them to perceive the touch of our environment and our fellow human beings and decide whether they are pleasant or unpleasant. Without our skin, cuddling and caressing would be inconceivable. We wouldn't feel the warm sea breeze, the fluffy blanket or the warm hand of grandpa.
No fist bump without skin. (unsplash.com / Norbert Hentges)
4. The skin is our warning system
... and our largest sense organ. With its receptors, it measures every stimulus that affects our body surface and reports this to our brain. So nasty crawfish don't stand a chance! By the way, the skin is most sensitive on the fingertips. With them we can even record how many legs an insect has.
How many legs? Your fingertips know! (imago / YAY Images)
5. The skin can renew itself
So if that's not a superpower: The skin has several layers, a bit like an onion. Except that with us the top layer renews itself! On average, a person loses 50 kilograms of skin in the course of a lifetime. That's as much as a baby rhino weighs.
Have something in common: onions and people. (unsplash.com / K8)
- How insurance companies prevent damage fraud
- How can I go around the world freely
- Stocks are a worthwhile investment
- Why does DeviantArt ask for your gender
- Why study math
- Why do big websites have terrible designs
- Who is Princess Caroline's husband
- Are there any good PayPal alternatives
- What is the Pyramid Web Framework
- What do you think is waste
- What is SGD with swing
- South Africa is an African state
- What is the dark matter for dummies
- Is WYSIWYG better than WordPress
- How happy are poor people too
- Provide good education to private schools
- What makes software development so interesting?
- Have you made real estate investments in Malaysia
- Can chemistry be done without using physics
- How do I keep uncircumcised penis clean?
- What SEAT model is this car
- Canadian medicine is accepted in the US
- Is Clint Eastwood underrated as a director
- How does the software from Bot
- What is the difference between witchcraft and divination
- What is the art of a DJ
- How are Uber drivers insured
- What is a pitch accent in linguistics
- Who is the most successful trial lawyer
- What does authentic culture mean
- How will Qwiki make money
- What do Indians usually eat for lunch?
- What happens after an eviction order
- Not late abortion just legalizes murder