What are different types of doctors
Specialties and titles for doctors
"Good afternoon, doctor". This is what the greeting is often, but often incorrectly. Sorting job titles and academic degrees apart is by no means banal; the opening of European borders and mutual recognition of training courses, diplomas and titles has made it even more confusing.
Who can call themselves a doctor?
So far it's still pretty easy. Anyone wishing to use this legally protected professional title must have successfully completed a university degree of at least five, in Germany six years. After passing the third state examination, the state health authority grants the “license to practice medicine” and thus permission to work as a doctor (but not independently, see below). In other countries, the degree does not necessarily end with the state examination, but with a master’s degree or a diploma (e.g. in the former GDR: Dipl.-Med.).
What does Dr. med.?
This title can be obtained at a German university or medical college by working on a scientific topic in addition to the exam, writing a “doctoral thesis” on this, and then submitting an examination, usually traditionally called “rigorosum”.
Dr. med. is the highest academic degree awarded by German universities. Unofficially, it is also given by many patients who address their "doctor" in this way, although he is not one. Abroad, this practice can even be found in official regulations: In Italy you can be addressed with “dottore” after completing a (three-year) Bachelor's degree. In Holland the doctor is always "dokter", hardly distinguishable from doctor. It is most practical to acquire a degree in Austria: the normal degree there is “Doctor universalis medicinae” or in German “Doctor of all medicine”. This is not only more melodious than the synonymous German “general practitioner”, but is of course often confused with an academic title, often without being contradicted.
What does specialist mean?
After the state examination, doctors first have to undergo specialist training. This is mainly done through work in hospitals, and increasingly also in recognized training practices. The minimum further training period is three years, e.g. for a general practitioner title acquired in France. In Germany you need at least 5 years to obtain a medical specialist title. In their further training regulations, the medical associations stipulate how these training courses must be organized and, at the end of the day, also examine the candidates. Examples are “general practitioner, internal medicine doctor, skin and sexually transmitted diseases doctor”. To make things more complicated, there are also the abbreviations “dermatologist, ENT doctor, general practitioner, etc.” and the Latin names “dermatologist, gynecologist” and others.
What is a focus or additional designation?
Just like the specialist titles, they are usually awarded in addition to these after several years of further training. You can only join a specific specialist, such as "Vascular Surgery" or "Gastroenterology" or as an additional designation to various specialist names, such as "Allergology" or "Naturopathy".
Competition law and medical law have become more relaxed in recent years. In this way, freely invented designations can also be used on signs and letterheads with impunity if they cannot be confused with the above-mentioned "official" designations. One example is “Family Medicine Doctor”. Sounds nice and doesn't require any training. Controversial is, for example, "doctor for men's medicine" or "Ayurveda doctor". In case of doubt, the courts decide here.
"Specialties and titles for doctors" (pdf - 19 kB)
- Might defeat Ivan Drago Thunderlips
- How and by whom was Beowulf written
- What impact did residential schools have
- How much does ACT score affect admission?
- Who owns SaaS
- What is involved in starting your own podcast
- What are some good circus style songs
- Are Mexican resorts actually controlled by cartels?
- What are some relaxing english songs
- Why is the Athenian Empire important
- What does the ReLex operation cost
- May women have sex at night
- How is Guwahati
- What is 24 4 2 1
- What is the future of kurtis
- Which continent is west of southern Africa
- Who is responsible for protecting the law
- A revoked medical license can be restored
- How do I learn Raspberry Pi
- What are the properties of covalent connections?
- Why can't I remember names anymore
- How can I treat rhotacism
- A tooth that is lean of muscle is toothed
- When will Boruto chapter 26 come out?
- Can rappers use the voice
- Is it necessary to believe in God
- How was Netscape destroyed by Microsoft
- How and by whom were stickers invented
- What do we call medicine in Sanskrit
- Why do women get more attention
- What are skin tags made of?
- How Harvard invests its endowment funds
- Can Elon Musk speak well
- What does easy role play mean