What are the disadvantages of barcodes
QR vs barcodes: what should you use for your AV material?
If you're working with material moving in and out of your warehouse, scanning can help you keep a better overview of your material. By scanning material, you reduce errors and also have the option of creating a chronicle of each item.
QR and barcodes can both contain similar information. While barcodes only store information horizontally (1D), QR codes do so both horizontally and vertically (2D).
That small but important difference makes QR codes a better option for the live events industry in almost every aspect. You wonder why We explain it to you:
Advantages of QR codes over barcodes
- QR codes can contain more information - While a barcode can represent up to 25 characters, a QR code can store up to 2500 characters. This means that you can include a lot more information, such as the URL of a product page in your webshop.
- QR codes can be smaller - a QR code can be up to 10 times smaller than a barcode and is still readable. This means you can print smaller labels that contain more information.
- QR codes are easier to read - to read a barcode you have to hold the scanner in line with the barcode. However, QR codes can be read from any angle. If you have to scan a lot of items, you don't always have to point the scanner perfectly at the code in order to be able to scan quickly.
- QR codes work even if they are damaged - QR codes have a higher error correction margin. Even if around 30% of the code is illegible (due to damage or dirt, for example) the code will work.
Are QR codes always the better choice?
QR codes are the clear favorite in many respects, but there is one type of material for which barcodes are the better solution: cables.
It's almost impossible to scan a QR code when the label is on a cable (or any other round, thin item). If you intend to trace every single cable, then in this case it is better to use barcodes.
QR codes and Rentman
Thanks to years of experience in the live event industry, we know how useful QR codes can be for material tracking. That's why you can create and print your own QR codes with Rentman.
You can also order pre-printed QR codes from us: These are printed on specially laminated paper. This makes the stickers sun, water, dirt and beer resistant and damage resistant.
Scan with your mobile device
With Rentman Mobile you can use your smartphone camera to scan QR codes. This allows you to book devices to and from the warehouse without being tied to a computer or reporting a damaged item directly on site.
Rentman is the all-in-one software solution for VT rental companies and event production companies. With Rentman you can better manage your warehouse, communicate more easily with your team and create quotes and invoices faster.
Test it 30 days for free!
- What are your favorite documentaries on nutrition
- How common is diabetes mellitus in children
- How to cook a black chicken
- What is K D Lang's best album
- What is Thompson Sampling in layman's terms
- Real name is Rhaego Jon Snow
- How can I stop hesitating while programming?
- How do I use on and at
- Who is your dream love most
- Why is Islam on earth
- Can Core i3 laptops be used for programming?
- Which artists Eminem will not work with
- How is Punjab University doing
- How does the Broadway lottery work
- How does LPU compare to VIT Vellore
- What was your biggest OMG moment
- Iraqis want democracy
- Can there be lightning without thunder
- Are 360 degree cameras good for vlogging?
- What happens when alkenes react with bromine
- Is it good for MSc after btech
- Have missile windows
- Science is complete without mathematics
- What are psychologists' favorite types of clients