What was Freud's opinion of Carl Jung?
The symbol in psychoanalysis
April 8, 2017, 9:58 pm
Carl Gustav Jung took up Freud’s concept of symbol formation, which he described as early as 1900 in his Interpretation of Dreams. Freud's assumption was that unpleasant content: feelings and affects are translated into a symbolic image. This image can penetrate into the consciousness, for example via a dream, be made conscious and analyzed.
As far as Jung followed Freud's line of thought. But Jung made a distinction between symbols that are shaped from individual experience and culturally formed symbolic content that he called archetypes. According to Carl Gustav Jung, these archetypes correspond to a universal, human spirit.
Quarrel between Freud and Jung
The dispute between Freud and Jung also flared up over the question of whether the concept of libido introduced by Freud exclusively denotes sexual energy or, according to Jung, is to be equated with life energy.
There were many reasons for the break between Freud and Jung. Originally, Freud saw in the psychiatrist Carl Gustav Jung, as president of the psychoanalytic association, the chance that psychoanalysis would have been accepted as a science by the medical community. And: Jung wasn't a Jew. In fin de siecle Vienna, which was anti-Semitic, psychoanalysis had been declassified as a Jewish science. The person of Jung could have ruined this argument for the opponents of psychoanalysis.
But with his theory of archetypes Jung differentiated an "Aryan" from a "Jewish" unconscious, as he called it. 20 years after his break with Freud, Carl Gustav Jung took over the chairmanship of the "General Medical Society for Psychotherapy" under the National Socialists in 1933. Sigmund Freud's books were burned in public.
The picture-strip thinking
The effect of the symbol in psychotherapeutic work was taken up by the Göttingen doctor and psychotherapist Hans Carl Leuner in the 1950s. As a Freudian psychoanalyst, he had also attended the school of C.G. Jung went through and discovered an area of research that was already described in the 1930s: so-called picture-strip thinking.
This describes the phenomenon that shortly before falling asleep or waking up, pictures, sometimes film sequences, appear in the sleeper's inner eye. Leuner now asked himself what effect the picture had on the psyche of the human being, and how the soul expressed itself in the picture. Leuner came to the conclusion that in the state between wakefulness and sleep, the human soul is articulated in a pictorial language that is related to the dream.
The rediscovery of the daydream
Hans Carl Leuner had discovered the daydream for therapy. In the katathym-imaginative psychotherapy he developed, he put the patient into a light trance. Now he asked the patient to imagine a concrete picture: a flower, an animal or a meadow, for example, and to tell him what he had experienced in his imagination. This daydream became the material that the therapist discussed with the client.
Similar to the night dream, which Freud recognized as the self-healing process of the soul, conflicting processes and memory traces were also dealt with in the day dream. The therapeutic process began where the imagined was discussed.
- How do I become an EDM DJ
- How is architecture in VIT Vellore
- Why are atheists so brilliant
- What makes a narcissist a monster
- How to run a book club
- How much hearing aid costs
- What is hydropower How is it created
- What is the cement density
- What is the chemical formula of trinitrotoluene
- What's the point of learning morphology
- Why is the Athenian Empire important
- What is arguing
- Usually Sweden is more expensive than Denmark
- How do I install the K Meleon Browser
- How does carbon monoxide poisoning occur
- What does a multiview painting look like?
- How can someone stop being attached
- Can all Tsuchikages fly in Naruto
- Why is the due diligence carried out
- A 4kg gaming laptop is considered heavy
- What are MT and MO in SMS
- What leads to the failure of entrepreneurs
- What's your secret popcorn recipe
- Why did Notch create Minecraft
- How hackers fake emails
- Is intelligence as a characteristic sustainable
- Was your child afraid of Santa Claus?
- What are some alkaline beverages with high pH
- What are good keto dessert recipes
- Can you sell preferred stock
- You can apply for bankruptcy on IRS debt
- What's your wishlist for Android apps
- What makes a gun a carbine
- How is SAP software used in refineries