Steroids are hormones
English: steroid hormones
Steroid hormones are hormones that are made up of a cholesterol-derived steroid skeleton, which consists of three C6 rings and a C5 ring as well as a side chain.
Steroid hormones belong to the group of lipid hormones. As lipophilic substances, they can easily permeate through cell membranes and thus occupy the intracellular steroid receptors. G-protein-coupled receptors on the cell membrane are also known for some steroid hormones.
In humans, steroid hormones are mostly produced in the adrenal cortex, in the gonads and in the CNS. Since they are poorly soluble in water, they are transported in the blood bound to plasma proteins.
The starting product of all steroid hormones is cholesterol. It can come from different sources:
The first, rate-limiting step in steroid synthesis is the conversion of cholesterol to pregnenolone. Pregnenolone is a weak progestogen and has a progesterone-like effect.
The various steroid hormones are then produced from the pregnenolone in several intermediate steps. The synthesis of steroid hormones takes place in the ovaries (ovaries), in the testes (testes) and in the adrenal gland. Hormone production is controlled by hypothalamic and pituitary hormones.
Examples of steroid hormones are:
Steroid-like hormones are:
Hormones from insects and plants are also often built on a steroid base.
- ↑ Prossnitz et al. Estrogen signaling through the transmembrane G protein-coupled receptor GPR30. Annu Rev Physiol; 2008
- What is a focus magaize
- Can we play Megapolis offline
- Where are the most trusted paid surveys
- What book do toppers study for NDA
- What's your favorite car for 2019
- Is it illegal to pirate free content?
- Where is the capital of Singapore
- What is the latest PlayStation
- How does a servo motor work
- What is a literary ballad
- Can I crack IES electrics without coaching?
- Who would win Superman or Michael Myers?
- How did you lose 50 pounds
- When should we wear winter clothes?
- What does a one-day turnaround mean?
- What are some emotional contributions to school life
- Why am i so soft
- You should tell people about your goals
- What is the molecular weight of SeO2F2
- What is moral purpose
- How many men suffer from BPH
- How much influence does Prince Charles have
- Mating is necessary for the German Shepherd Dog
- How good is Surface Go