Why are DC choppers used
A brake chopper is used to monitor the intermediate circuit voltage in a frequency converter. This monitoring is necessary because overvoltages can occur in the intermediate circuit. They arise when the motor brakes. The so-called braking resistor, which converts the excess energy in the intermediate circuit into thermal energy, is connected to the chopper. As an electronic switch (chopper), a resistor is switched on before the intermediate circuit voltage reaches a level that is dangerous for the components. As soon as the intermediate circuit voltage decreases again and becomes lower than the switch-on voltage, but higher than the mains voltage, the chopper switches the resistor off again. The process is repeated as soon as the voltage rises again.
How the brake chopper works
If a drive system has a speed v, it also has kinetic energy. If the system is braked, the excess energy flows back into the intermediate circuit in the form of generator current via the output stage. If this voltage exceeds a threshold voltage, the chopper is switched on electronically. The excess energy is then almost completely converted into thermal energy via the connected braking resistor. The limiting element is the braking resistor, as it converts a large amount of energy into heat. The losses in the brake chopper are not relevant.
Example circuit with brake chopper (source: Fundamentals of drive technology, Sew Eurodrive)
- What Are the Best Masters Degrees in Neuroscience
- What do you miss about Governor Schwarzenegger
- What is relative identity
- What does the pending LinkedIn box mean
- Which family was the worst luck ever?
- Got Maxine Waters taxes back
- What is cascading in layman terms
- Which is your favorite SEO tool
- Is Donald Trump suspicious of African Americans
- Can chemistry be done without using physics
- What is the most stable fishing kayak
- Why are people afraid of sugar
- What can you do with 6 weeks
- Who should Scrum team members report to?
- What is 175 divided by 1 3
- What are some fun facts about kitesurfing
- Online streaming will make movie theaters obsolete
- What are manual interview question tests
- How were colors inserted into computers
- What's your zero inbox method
- How do I write articles
- How do you open Microsoft Excel
- What is a 9GAG Pro user
- Does the TSA actually prevent terrorism
- Why is society so insensitive
- What is the LIGO observatory
- Who made the movie Wyatt Earp
- Don't let our religion stop us from advancing
- What are the best pokemon games online
- How can I go kayaking in Lakshadweep
- What do Italians think of the olive garden?
- Why is promotional material important to business
- What is an example? Is it necessary