What is the best MPH program
MPH - Master of Public Health
“Public health encompasses all social, political and organizational efforts aimed at improving the health situation, reducing the likelihood of illness and death, and increasing the life expectancy of groups or entire populations. Public health includes all organized, multidisciplinary and multiprofessional approaches to disease prevention, health promotion, disease control, disease management, rehabilitation and care. A particular focus is on the management and evaluation of collective health problems and the design of care with the aim of developing and controlling a health system that offers the entire population (or larger subpopulations) the best possible health care that is tailored to their needs - using culturally and medically appropriate care effective, ethically and economically justifiable means. "Franzowiak, 2015
We pursue this application-oriented, population-based and interdisciplinary approach to public health in our Master of Public Health program.
Competencies and goals
The course conveys well-founded basics in the field of public health, offers a broad overview of methodological instruments and specialist knowledge and conveys competencies for careful analysis and problem solving of public health-related issues.
The course enables you to acquire the knowledge, skills and competencies to
- Describe and evaluate disease and health problems of the population from an epidemiological and health economic point of view;
- to design, implement and evaluate effective health promotion and prevention interventions for socially and culturally diverse population groups;
- Describe and evaluate health policies and reform processes in Switzerland and other countries against the legal, political and economic background;
- To assess conditions and change processes in the health care system on the basis of a sound basic knowledge of health economics;
- for decision-makers in politics, business, administration and associations to take a scientifically based and comprehensible position on public health issues;
- To design and carry out research projects on public health issues and to present research processes and research results to the specialist public;
- to mediate between different health care professionals and to integrate different disciplinary perspectives in the development of workable problem solutions.
Structure and content
The curriculum of the master’s course consists of a compulsory core course and a shell course with freely selectable modules.
In the core course (36 ECTS points) you acquire the essential skills that a Master of Public Health should have. Therefore, all modules of the core course are compulsory. The core course is divided into three subject areas: epidemiology and biostatistics, health promotion and prevention, and health systems. The master's thesis is also part of the core course.
Basic and advanced level
In the first phase of the course, modules from the basic level are attended. The modules within a subject build on each other in terms of content and are timed so that you can attend all modules one after the other and thus meet the module requirements. In the advanced level, the skills acquired in the three subject areas are further refined and strengthened.
The master's thesis serves to deepen the content and methods of the course. With the master's thesis you show that you can apply what you have learned in practice. The project work is carried out under guidance and supervision. In preparation, create a project sketch in which you describe the planned project in detail. A publication or a written report (master's thesis) summarizes the results. A total of 14 ECTS points are awarded for the project outline and the master's thesis.
In the mantle course (10 ECTS points) you work on and deepen selected topics depending on your interests, therefore all modules of the mantle course are elective. In principle, it is possible to attend elective modules in the curriculum at any time.
The course of your studies and the timing of your module visits can be arranged flexibly: Depending on the capacity, you can visit some of the modules in the first or in a following year. It is important that you comply with the requirements that are listed in the detailed module descriptions. The modules require attendance and self-study. Each module includes proof of performance in the form of an examination, presentation or written term paper.
Introduction of public health
Swiss health system
Introduction to Epidemiology and Study Designs
Concepts, methods and applications of descriptive and analytical epidemiology
From Evidence to Implementation and Evaluation in Public Health
Introduction to systematic reviews and meta-analyzes: the 24-step approach
Basics of health science and social epidemiology
Social Science Research Methods in Public Health
Environment and health
Statistical methods for dealing with confounding and interactions in epidemiological studies
Evidence-based public health using the GRADE approach
Identify and solve a public health problem
Health promotion and prevention: designing and evaluating interventions
Socio-cultural contexts, migration and health equality
Economic evaluation in health care
A selection of modules offered every two to three years.
Assessment, remuneration and optimal care in the health
Child and youth health in Switzerland
Personalized and Public Health
Health Systems and Services in International Comparison
Lifestyles and Health
Quality and Safety in Health Care
Sociocultural Transformations and Health
Ethics and Public Health
Work, health and corporate health
Chronic diseases and multimorbidity
Public Mental Health
Innovative forms of care in health care
Accidental Injuries and Fatalities: Research, Safety Promotion, and Accident Prevention
Conclusion and costs
The further education course in Public Health concludes with the title “Master of Public Health from the Universities of Basel, Bern and Zurich” (MPH).
The course comprises 60 ECTS points and is completed in two to a maximum of five years while working. The tuition fees are around CHF 39,000. This includes registration and graduation fees, course documents and refreshments during breaks.
- How do bayonets work
- Where did kebabs come from
- Which flowers have 8 petals
- Police officers like to write tickets
- Make status matters in marriage
- Why does excitement feel uncomfortable?
- What counts as a traumatic experience
- What are some French sports famous brands
- Why should I only date one man
- What is CRISPR Gene Propulsion Technology
- Is OAuth a supplier loyalty
- Why is weed ganja not legal in India
- Is capitalism moral for economic agents?
- Why are sponges important to the world
- What is Link Acquisition in SEO
- How can I critically analyze a film
- What is the achievement of Carl Gauss
- Why couldn't we build a time machine?
- What are the best guns in PUBG
- What is the best e-learning application
- Individual investors really consistently beat the market
- Can salt put out a grease fire
- Is it possible to eliminate wisdom?
- What is special about Jodhpur
- Where do people look for jobs online
- Is sure in real or fake
- Does the world really need slaves?
- Do you know about
- Is sucking my cock considered masturbation?
- How many old pennies correspond to one florin
- What are the best services of the citizens
- Why shouldn't money markets be banned?
- What is projectile movement and trajectory
- What emotions do different scents evoke?