How many languages are spoken today
Five times wise - How many languages are there worldwide?
- Current article
All over the world people communicate in thousands of languages. In Papua New Guinea alone, hundreds of people speak. But the global linguistic diversity is decreasing.
According to the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, there are between 6500 and 7000 different languages worldwide. The seven million inhabitants of the Pacific island state Papua New Guinea alone speak over 800. The reason for this high linguistic diversity lies in the tradition of individual villages and communities that identify themselves through their own languages, as linguists assume.
But languages are dying out: Experts estimate that over 10,000 years ago mankind still knew around 20,000 languages worldwide. By the year 2200 there should still be 100. One reason is that small language communities are becoming extinct due to displacement, genocide or natural disasters. In addition, many people are giving up their local language and adopting a national language in order to be able to communicate nationwide.
They do not pass their mother tongue on to the next generation. One language that only recently disappeared was "Bo". She was one of ten born by a people in the Andaman Islands, & nbsp; an archipelago in the Indian Ocean - was spoken. Boa Sr, the last woman to speak «Bo», died in 2010 - and so did the language.
- Current article
- Why do redheads need more anesthesia
- What is the advantage of the CAT exam
- Why do Texans hate New Yorkers
- Is it weird not to like to play club
- Where can I get SIP VOIP software
- Is capitalism moral for economic agents?
- Why do our teeth become flexible
- Why do people abuse the internet
- Are institutions more important than beliefs
- Which number is 56 out of 48
- Too much vitamin D3 can trigger migraines
- How do peripheral and integral proteins differ?
- How will Klout flow into Uber me
- What is m test
- What is half board
- A computer student can join CA.
- Are correspondence courses valid for jobs
- What does authentic culture mean
- Where can I sell cryptocurrencies
- Who can do a Scrum Master certification
- What is OSCE care
- Computer screens are just spreadsheets
- Is it worth punishing romance in the workplace
- How normal is my brain
- What are some good books of poetry in Bengali?
- Why can't we learn English
- What are the top trends in mobile
- What does 0 stand for
- What does a test mean
- Why is Campari schnapps not famous
- Is Avenger Film is for children
- What kind of clothes made of polyester
- How useful is LinkedIn for job seekers