Why are some star maps slightly oval
Basic knowledge: the rotatable star map
The best way to learn how to use a planisphere is to hold it with your outstretched arm in the direction indicated at the bottom of the map. Now you can compare the stars above the horizon with the stars at the bottom of the map. You can find stars towards the inside edge of the map if you look further up.
Another problem is distortion. On a rotatable star map designed for the northern celestial hemisphere, constellations of the southern celestial hemisphere appear squashed, making it harder to compare them with the real constellations. This problem does not occur with maps that are only created for a specific point in time, such as those in the editions of "Stars and Space" or "Ahnert's Astronomical Yearbook".
A few more subtleties
Rotatable star maps are drawn specifically for a specific latitude area. For Central Europe or Canada this is 50 degrees north. For a vacation in southern Europe, the United States or even the Caribbean, maps for this width are then only partially suitable. Fortunately, there are some star maps, such as Chandler's, that are published in different editions for different latitudes.
And then there is Central European Summer Time (CEST), which usually runs from the last Sunday in March to the last Sunday in October. During this time you have to subtract an hour in your mind in order to set the time correctly on the star map. If you take it very precisely, the time that you have to set on the rotatable star map is not that of our time zone (i.e. for us Central European Time for 15 degrees east longitude), but the mean local time. The correction that still needs to be added to CET is shown in the following table for various cities in Central Europe.
|Time correction against CET||Cities|
|-5 min.||Brno, Vienna|
|0 min.||Frankfurt / O., Görlitz (15.0 ° East), Graz, Prague|
|5 min.||Berlin, Dresden, Klagenfurt, Linz / D.|
|10 min.||Chemnitz, Halle, Leipzig, Potsdam, Regensburg, Rostock, Salzburg, Stralsund|
|15 minutes.||Augsburg, Bozen, Coburg, Erfurt, Innsbruck, Lübeck, Magdeburg, Munich, Nuremberg, Schwerin|
|20 min.||Braunschweig, Bregenz, Eisenach, Hamburg, Hanover, Kassel, Kiel, Liechtenstein, Ulm, Würzburg|
|25 min.||Baden-Baden, Bielefeld, Bremen, Darmstadt, Frankfurt / M., Heidelberg, Heilbronn, Karlsruhe, Constance, Ludwigshafen / Rh., Milan, Mainz, Mannheim, Reutlingen, Stuttgart, Tübingen, Wiesbaden, Worms, Zurich|
|30 min.||Basel, Bern, Bochum, Bonn, Dortmund, Emden, Essen, Freiburg / Br., Kaiserslautern, Koblenz, Cologne, Münster, Osnabrück, Saarbrücken, Strasbourg, Wilhelmshaven, Wuppertal|
|35 min.||Aachen, Düsseldorf, Duisburg, Geneva, Krefeld, Luxembourg, Mönchengladbach, Trier|
|40 min.||Amsterdam, Antwerp, Liege, Rotterdam|
Alan MacRobert is an editor at Sky & Telescope and an avid amateur astronomer.
- Why did Shirley from Code Geass die
- Which film has had a major impact on your life
- Why are South African cities less populated?
- Why do we think all the time
- Is DNA a Turing machine
- Why was abstract painting invented
- We understand happiness
- How can I have fitness trips abroad
- Uses the RSA Diffie Hellman
- Who do you think is overrated
- Can we control our sense of time?
- What kind of city is Bhopal
- What is the rendezvous app for events
- Have prepositions synonyms
- Waht is the best skin care clinic in Los Angeles
- Why don't big companies need content marketing?
- What do you think of fraudulent meals
- Is the archbone operation insured
- Why does telomerase cause cancer
- What's the appeal of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- How bad was Vlad The Impaler really
- Counts college as an experience
- What is global alignment
- How are scientific claims justified?
- ISC is difficult
- Frequent diarrhea is a sign of cancer
- What are your favorite iPad games
- What should I do after 3 appointments
- Why did you run away from your life
- Is the consumption of rice harmful during typhus?
- When does lessons start at kiit 2016?
- The Most Profitable Small Business in Delhi NCR
- What are the limitations of a VPN
- What does the Bible teach about grace