How useful is Snapchat
38 interesting and fascinating statistics about Snapchat
Snapchat has grown a lot since its inception. Rejected by older people and willingly embraced by younger generations, it is now one of the most important social media platforms. From the general audience to brands, Snapchat has something for everyone.
We've gathered some facts and statistics around Snapchat to give you a glimpse into the world of the platform.
Snapchat history facts
The co-founders of Snap Inc., Evan Spiegel and Bobby Murphy | Photo: J. Emilio Flores — New York Times / Redux
Snapchat was originally called Picaboo and was founded on July 8, 2011.
It was renamed Snapchat in September of that year.
As of May 2012, the app processed 25 photos per second. Since November 2013 it is 4500 per second.
In October 2014, Snapchat started advertising to its users.
Snapchat went public in March 2017 with a value of $ 3.4 million.
The company currently employs over 3,000 people.
In May 2018, non-skippable ads were introduced on the platform.
Financial metrics on Snapchat
In 2017, Snapchat posted $ 825 million in revenue, more than double what it was in 2016.
On May 15, 2018, Snapchat's shares were worth $ 10.95, less than its original value of $ 27.09.
Snapchat's Average Revenue Per User (ARPU) was $ 1.53 in Q4 2017.
The highest ARPU of $ 2.75 was recorded in North America. In Europe it is 66 cents and in the rest of the world 56 cents.
Snapchat user and demographic statistics
60% of Snapchat users are under 25 years of age, in Great Britain the proportion is even 77%.
78% of Americans aged 18-24 use the platform.
In February 2018, Snapchat was ranked sixth among the most popular social media apps in the United States.
47% of teenagers in the US think it is better than Facebook, while 24% say it is better than Instagram.
According to a survey by YouGov, around 30% of Generation Y men use Snapchat, compared to 50% of women.
In Ireland, Saudi Arabia and Sweden, Snapchat is used the most by the population (16 years and older).
Snapchat marketing stats
In 2016, $ 90 million was spent on advertising on Snapchat.
In the same year, Snapchat released its Spectacles product, which allows users to post snaps of what they are watching.
In terms of advertising, the three most popular brands are BuzzFeed, Comedy Central, and iHeartRadio.
64% of marketers have a Snapchat account.
Sports and casual wear brands are more likely to be on Snapchat. Travel brands are the least common.
NGOs use the most snaps in their stories (13), while food and beverage brands use the least amount of snaps (4).
57% of branded content on Snapchat includes a video.
91% of people who watch a snap from a branded story watch the whole story.
Snapchat usage figures
Snapchat has 187 million daily active users.
80 million users are from North America, 60 million from Europe and 47 million from the rest of the world.
2.5 billion snaps were sent in the third quarter of 2017.
On average, users spend 34.5 minutes a day on Snapchat and send 34.1 messages every day.
528,000 snaps are sent every minute.
The most common Snap Stories are posted on Saturdays.
Users mainly use the app to send messages to others.
The longest Snapchat series consists of 1,120 Snaps (as of May 15, 2018).
- What is the purpose of goat yoga
- What is the current situation in Libya?
- Who ruled Persia throughout the 14th century
- What does sincerity mean in love
- What makes Blizzard so successful
- What does an unfavorable comparison mean
- What are your realistic expectations
- What happens when you breathe in space
- Which board games are exciting
- Should I force myself to stay single?
- The US got confused
- When cats spray, what are they spraying?
- Will my bad skin ever go away
- Taxes make the rich richer
- Where does the guilt come from
- Can deer swim
- How are angiosperms used
- Is Badam a dicot
- How can we actually create happy societies
- In which locations did Hercules shoot in 2014
- How did our surnames come about?
- Is recording live performances morally wrong?
- Space probes are all jokes
- What's the name of the people from Colorado
- A bad starter can discharge the battery
- What are dark dramatic music
- How do I purify water by evaporation
- How do famous YouTubers get their names
- What is a scientific article
- Influences folic acid hair growth
- What does the recording date mean in YouTube
- Why should I only date one man
- What software should all mathematicians use